Sunday, April 09, 2006

Water & Fish... Oil


Today was a beautiful day! We played in the back yard for quite a while. David played in the sprinkler again. The hose has a leak & this puddle formed. David enjoyed splashing in it... he's getting ready for the river! Notice the cute swim trunks!!!

You may remember David's 1st experience with a fish oil supplement. It was several months ago. He got into his dad's bag he takes to work. I thought I had picked everything up, but apparently a fish oil caplet was hidden somewhere. First & foremost, I am thankful that he didn't choke on it. The day after this happened (and I didn't know I had missed the fish oil) David smelled like dead fish - his breath, his diapers, and his general body scent. I racked my brain to figure out what I had fed him to make him smell so bad. (We'd had a previous incident where I fed him something that had a lot of garlic in it & he stunk the day after that, too.) Finally I found the empty caplet under the couch & realized that he had found it and sucked the oil out.

Well, a few weeks ago, someone in an email group asked if anyone had tried giving their late talker omega-3 supplements. There was not much discussion on the topic, so I started doing some research & found that some think it does indeed help boost mood, energy, concentration, learning ability, and positive behavior. I found a company called Nordic Naturals that made a strawberry flavored liquid that was recommended for age 1 & up. Dad & I agreed that it wouldn't hurt to try & see.

David started taking 1/2 teaspoon this past week on Wednesday, 4/5. I gave it in a medicine dropper & he acted like he liked the taste of it.

On Friday, 4/7, while putting on his shoes to go outside, with me repeating "shoe" David started saying "sh". He has done it every day since when we put on his shoes. He got frustrated trying to tell us that he wanted to swing & watch a movie. We finally figured out that he was trying to pull the swing out. Swinging & movies go hand-in-hand, so I looked up the sign for movie & showed it to him. He did it right back. He's never repeated a sign that quickly.

On Saturday, 4/8, I asked him if he wanted a cracker. He signed cookie & looked at the box of vanilla wafers. And has started using other signs more, too. He has started nodding yes to "do you want" questions. He has started pointing at objects in books.

Today - Sunday, 4/9, his Sunday school teacher commented that he actually interacted with the other kids. I didn't have much time to talk to her, because other parents were waiting, so I don't know how he interacted, but she noticed it & she usually says he played by himself the whole time. Then
we went to the fire station to see Dad. I always talk about going to see Dad at the fire station while we're in the car going there. As we're getting out of the car, I said as usual, "Here's the fire station, let's go find Dad." David started saying "fff, fff". I wonder if that was F for fire or F for find?

While there, we asked if he wanted to go see the fire truck. We waited briefly, then he went to the door that leads into the engine bay. After eating applesauce, I picked up the bowl & said, "all done". I usually make the sign while I say it, but didn't this time. David did it. First time for that one, too. Later in the car, he drank all his juice, dropped the cup, I said "Are you done?" and he signed "all done". I also waved my hands in the air talking about the pretty wispy clouds, and he did the same thing. I'm pretty sure he said "no" today, too, when I was calling him for a diaper change. He's never said that before, either.

Tonight while I was watching home makeover, he came in looked at the TV & signed "movie". I told him Mom was watching a movie now!

Coincidence or Omega-3? I don't know for *certain*, but I'm going to keep giving it to him.

1 comment:

Grandpa said...

I'll bet it won't be long before you hear "no" a lot more often!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win