Monday, December 08, 2008

Potatoes


I signed up with SheSpeaks and my first assignment was to review Ore-Ida's new Steam & Mash Potatoes. I got a free bag of the product, a free potato masher, and coupons to share.

I tried the Garlic Seasoned Potatoes. They were very easy to prepare - you just put the whole bag in the microwave for 10 minutes, let them stand for 2 minutes, dump them into a bowl and mash with some milk & butter. Super easy.

What I liked about them was not having to buy a 5lb bag of potatoes and not having to peel them. I found that a whole bag was a lot of potatoes.

The flavor was pretty good, but we thought the texture was a little dry & undercooked. Maybe it's my small microwave or maybe I didn't add enough milk. Dad said they had the texture of leftover potatoes. I reheated a bowl later & added more butter and some cheese and I thought they tasted better that time. The next day, I made potato patties from the leftovers & they were enjoyed by all. Here's my mom's potato patty recipe:

Grandma's Potato Patties

Leftover Mashed Potatoes
1 egg (or 2 if you have a lot of leftovers)
diced onion (amount based on your preference)
flour

Saute the onions. Mix together the leftover mashed potatoes, egg and sauteed onions. It will be kinda runny. Add flour, a little at a time, to thicken. Heat oil in a skillet. Drop spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil and gently flatten. When it's lightly brown on one side, flip them over. When done, drain on paper towels.

I like to dip mine in ketchup, but Dad used Cholula. I served them with pigs-in-a-blanket.

If anyone wants to give Ore-Ida's Steam & Mash Potatoes a try, let me know. They sent me plenty of coupons to share - $1 off!

4 comments:

the voice of melody said...

Those potato patties look good. Very comfy kind of food. :)

Anonymous said...

A little cooking tip from Aunt Jana:

With instant mashed potatoes it is better if you can to cook them in a pot. That way you can control the cooking temp. consistancy (sp?) etc... Also add more butter, milk once you have cooked them to get the desired consistancy. I used to cook these all the time!

Hope all is well! Give everyone hugs for me.

Love,

Aunt Jana

Anonymous said...

oh they also won't taste like left over mashed potato's if you cook them in the pot.

Aunt Jana

onemotherslove said...

Hey, thanks! I used to make instant potatoes because I could just make a little & I was the only one who'd eat them. The Steam & Mash are actually real potatoes, though! I guess I failed to mention that on my post. They're real potatoes, chopped up & frozen. I think they did have stove-top directions on the bag, too. Maybe I'll try that next time... if I try them again. Seems like that would work better because you have more control than just throwing the bag into the microwave.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win