Monday, July 05, 2010

Another Massacre on the Farm. I hate snakes.

I hate snakes. I can't think of any reason to like them. I don't care if they eat rodents. The Bible says I will hate them, so I do. I was just talking about this with David & Elizabeth in the car when we got home and found this. This is the chicken snake that got in the chicken nesting boxes a couple of weeks ago. Grandpa came over & chopped it up for me. See the fat part of his body? One of my eggs. I hate snakes.

Last summer we got some guinea keets. They've grown & now serve as the power horses of bug eaters around the place. I bought 10. I have 2 males left. Some were lost to owls, some to coyotes. They're strange, loud birds. But they work hard.

So this year, I got 10 more. Just a few days ago. Aren't they cute??? : ) They stayed inside a few days, but they're already big enough & it is warm enough, that I moved them into a cage that is suspended inside the chicken coop. They've been outside for about 4 days now, I think.

This morning when I went out, I found yet another massacre scene. I hate snakes.

See how fat he is? He has swallowed 3 of the keets. 5 more lay dead. I assume they were squeezed to death. He was stuck inside the cage because his body was too fat to get out, now.

I hate snakes. Dad came to my rescue this time. Dad stabbed the serpent with rebar and a knife and when the snake got his neck through the wires, he found the pruning shears were not nice to him. I hate snakes. When Dad got the slithering beast out of the cage & held him up, he was over 6 feet long... and that was without his head.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Me, too!!!

This brings back memories of when we had chickens. Lauren would come in crying every morning because the skunk had killed another chicken.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win