Survived by three families...
I really feel like I want to say something, but am really not sure what to say. It was a long, tiring, and emotional day. Part of it was being 8 months pregnant. Part of it was seeing family and children left behind. Part of it was realizing that, should I survive my husband, I will be the recipient of the same outpouring.
Engineer Cocke was survived by three families: his family family, his church family, and his fire family. There was obvious outpouring of love and support from all three.
Not everyone will experience what it's like to be a part of a family at work. I think we are fortunate to have that. And it's not just our department family, it's fire family. The church was packed. Extra chairs were brought in. And the walls were lined with men standing. I wondered if we were breaking fire code. There were easily over 200 firemen present, and they were not all from Fort Worth.
There were trucks and firemen from Azle, Saginaw, San Antonio, Arlington, Sansom Park, River Oaks, Reno (TX), North Richland Hills, Lake Worth, Benbrook, Denton, and perhaps others. The Fort Worth Mayor, Fire Chief, Deputy Chiefs, several Bat Chiefs, were also there as well as MedStar, FWPD Mounted Honor Guard, and the Texas Department of Parks & Wildlife represented as well. Fort Worth's own Quint 23 with ladder extended, Engine 23, Engine 21, Quint 24, and Bat 3 were there, and Engine 11 carried the casket to the burial.
I know it's not a pleasant thing to think about, but I couldn't help it... thinking that it could be me some day. We talked on the way home about how we'd tailor the service for us. What music, what ladder he'd like extended, what departments might come.
It's comforting to know that I have three families also. And I know I can count on all three. Please remember the Cocke family in your prayers, the three children who lost their dad (a son with special needs & 2 daughters) and the brothers left behind at Station 23 also.

5 comments:
i got to the last paragraph and couldn't hold it in anymore......
Thanks for sharing.
This is all so touching. Thanks for being able to blog this.
I love you. momma
Sue Ellen, I remember the first, and only, fire funeral Brad and I have attended. It hit so close to home since it was a friend of Brad's in Keller that he worked with on that dept and had close contact with for years. It was sobering and, like you, I couldn't help but have those same thoughts that have crossed through your mind. It was "in the line of duty" and there were so many depts represented there that I lost count after 28. In the procession they had both ladders extended, lights on and flags completely unfurled in the wind from the backs of the trucks. The crews of the ladders were standing at a salute as all vehicles passed under them. It was steeped in fire tradition and his body arrived at the church and then was carried to the gravesite on the back of the engine. He was 27 and left his young wife and 3 children ages 3, 2 and 5 months. My heart aches at your post. It took months for me to get that funeral out of my mind. It definitely makes you aware of how blessed we are for each day that we have with our husbands and grateful for every moment we have with our husbands. We watched Brad several months ago on a call to an apt on fire and I didn't realize the impact it would have on me. But to watch him gear up all bunked out was eye opening and made my stomach turn in knots in ways I never imagined it would. Having him here with me is something I have learned to never take for granted. I am praying for this family. I cannot imagine.
Nikki - I've lost your email address! I've never seen Alan at a fire & I know full well that I never want to. I don't even like talking to him on the phone when a call comes & I know he's on a call. I've told him I don't mind him telling me about it after the fact, but I don't want to know when he's actually there. We pray for his safety every day. If I knew about each call when it happened, I'd be way too worried. Better to give it over to God & let the day happen.
Post a Comment