Thursday, March 05, 2009

Coffee & Seeds

Good Friday, Girls! Come on in, though I can't promise you'll be greeted by the neatest place. I find that every day I seem to have more & more that I need to do and I'm less & less capable to get it done. I'm pulling in all directions, but the bump in my belly is pulling me to sit down. I've got approximately 37 more days of being pregnant. I hope that final burst of energy that comes at the end gets here soon.

The warm weather has been so inviting the last few days... if you can find a place to enjoy it out of the wind! So I haven't done much in the garden this week because I'm tired and it's just too windy to enjoy being out there! There is news to report for the Seed to Seed Challenge, though.

Sunday, March 1, I planted some lettuce seeds in pots on the back porch. They are: Salad Bowl, Key Lime, Freckles Romaine, Oak Leaf, and Baby Oak Leaf. I hope they do well there. I am anxious for fresh salad greens.

Tuesday evening, I messed up supper because I was so excited unpacking the heirloom tomato seedlings that UPS delivered! And Wednesday, I transplanted them into gallon pots since I'm not ready to plant them outside yet. They perked up quite nicely after the shipping shock in their new pots. Thursday, I transplanted the tomatillo also. After separating all the plants that were 2/pot, I ended up with 12 plants, when I had only ordered 6! Whoo-hoo!

And today, Friday morning, when I took the compost out that should have gone out yesterday, I saw this in one of my potato cages:

Those must be potatoes, because they don't look like Bermuda grass!!! I learned a new potato term this week - chitting. I know, sounds like something I don't want the kids repeating, but it basically means this: let them sprout before you plant them. Supposedly, the potato plants will grow stronger & more vigorously if you let them sprout first. Well, I didn't know this when I planted mine. I planted 2 cages - one with organic red potatoes I got at Central Market; the other with seed potatoes I got at the feed store. The grocery store potatoes started to sprout in my pantry, of course. The feed store potatoes were not sprouting when I planted them. Guess which ones these are? I wonder if my seed potatoes have sprouted yet?

I was so excited to see one of my Iris that came from Grandmama's house starting to bloom earlier this week. Then we had a freeze & it laid over. It slowly stood back up as our temperatures have headed back up towards 80 a few days after the freeze, but the wind has been horrid. This morning, when I checked the iris, it looks like it's shrivelled up from the wind, now. Oh, well. It's still beautiful.

9 comments:

Grandpa said...

Experience has led me to think that iris need a little protection from the south wind. Those that bloomed by my gate last year would look good early in the morning and be dried out after a day of strong wind

Rachel Anne said...

This wind is driving me crazy. As my daughter said, "it makes me feel confused."

I'm curious about the potato cages! What on earth are those? Never heard of them.

Still haven't planted anything...now my hubby is going out of town for 10 days. Any hope for rototilling will have to come from ME, renting one from somewhere. This should be interesting....

Reese said...

I always enjoy your garden posts.Take a little rest. You are building another person.
Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

Only 37 days! How exciting!

secondofwett said...

Good grief...for someone that cant seem to get anything done you sure seem to have more energy that I would!...gardening!..WOW!

Dani said...

Wow! You are doing so well with your seeds!

I never got that burst of energy when I was pregnant. Hopefully you will get mine and yours to help you finish out your term :)

mholgate said...

Ooooo! Is it too late to plant potatoes? Our hard ground here doesn't really like growing stuff, but I hear potatoes could survive in a garbage can of dirt if they have to! Baby reds sure would be nice. I use them a lot. : )

You made me think of a childhood memory today. When I used to go to the Oregon Coast to visit my grandparents on Spring Break, I would sit on the back porch, protected from the wind in the Spring sun and watch the ocean for hours at a time.

In your last days of pregnancy be sure to listen to that draw to sit down, and rest. You deserve it! :)

Have a great weekend!
-Melissa

D said...

Oh wow - congrats on the plants and soon to be veggies! I am aching to plant a garden this year - thanks for reminding me to go pester Hubby about building my garden box! ;) I just love irises - even shriveled that one is still pretty. Isn't that wind annoying?!? We are just up north of Austin and I am so tired of being blown around every time I go out. I am so ready for spring to really arrive!

And wow, a little more than a month until baby!!! How wonderful and exciting! I look forward to reading all about it! Thanks for the coffee!
D

Anonymous said...

Hope the 37 days will be as comfortable as they can possibly be. Less than 80 days over there! But I'm equally excited about your plants. hehe It's been raining a lot lately on and off, but hopefully my dad will be able to get out here to help me out with our garden soon.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win