Friday, March 20, 2009

Coffee & Seeds

Sun rising on the Texas Mountain Laurel

After yesterday's emotionally tiring day, I thought about skipping coffee this morning, but finally decided to serve it up anyway. Plus, I have some things I need to add to my garden log. And I really wanted to go outside and photograph those blooms!

Read more about the Growing Challenge: From Seed to Seed at One Green Generation.

Tuesday, March 17 - I finally cut up the pumpkins we had from last fall & took the seeds out. I don't know if they're hybridized or not, or if the seeds are still any good. We were surprised when we cut into the big one to find that the seeds were sprouting inside the pumpkin! I tried putting those sprouts into some little pots. We'll see if they do anything.

Oh, remember that David planted some carrot seeds last week? Well, he forgot he planted them & dug in that pot. So I planted some more.

I also planted my hollyhock seedlings and rocket larkspur seeds along one of the fences out front (above). Once those get big enough to bloom, they should provide some pretty photos for us!

Wednesday, March 18 - After leaving my plants on the back porch for a couple of days, I finally decided to start planting them in the ground! Into Raised Bed #1, I planted the Rio Granda Roma Tomato,

2 - Mariglobe Tomatoes,

2 - Toma Verde Tomatillos, 2 - California Wonder Bell Peppers, and 3 - Sunbright Peppers. Then sprinkled everything with some DT, because I saw an awful lot of pillbugs in there. I'm afraid my pepper seedlings may have been to small still. They're having quite the struggle. I did not plant all of them, so if these don't make it I have more. The more I deal with pepper seeds & seedlings, the more I realize they need more codling than a lot of other plants!

I had a Jalapeno that was going outside, too, but David accidentally pulled it up. I re-planted it back in it's little pot & will give it more time to recover from that!

But the potatoes are not so particular!

Can anyone tell me at what point I need to start mounding up over this plant to cover it up???

Potato Cage #2 has started sprouting as well!

The lettuce is still sprouting sporadically.

And the swiss chard shot up after the rains last week. It actually looks like teeny tiny little swiss chard now!

Onions appear to be doing well. I think this dirt would benefit from some mulch, though. It's gonna crack pretty quickly. I've got onions scattered all over the place - some in raised bed #1, these are in the trough with the Mountain Laurel, some are in with the iris, some in another trough.

Now on to the flowers! I am so proud of the Texas Mountain Laurel that was the first photo of today's post! Dad grew that from seed that we collected in the Texas Hill Country. These are very hard to grow from seed. He's been raising it in a pot for several years now. Last year it had one small bloom cluster on it. This year, it's in it's permanent home by our back porch and has about 8-10 bloom clusters on it! Standing nearby, you can whiff it's intoxicatingly sweet fragrance. Such an amazing plant! I should really take another picture of it in the evening light.

The pansies from last fall are blooming again.

And I just went blank... : \ but isn't it pretty?

Grape hyacinths bloomed all week. Cannas are pushing up.


And the Phoebe nest looks about finished. I saw one of them catch a flying insect on the back porch this week. Go for it, birdie!

Updated to add: This morning I added some old hay to mulch raised bed #1, the giant potato, and the hollyhock seedlings. I hope maybe the shade from the hay & slight wind protection on those smallest seedlings will help, especially with the peppers.

Updated again to add: This afternoon I planted the Wild Cherry Tomatoes, Mortgage Lifter Tomato, and Yellow Pear Tomato into raised bed #2 and mulched around each with the old hay.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely to stop by and see your plants in your garden. They look to be doing really well! That challenge looks interesting - I'm hoping to be able to save seeds from the plants I'm trying to grow this year, so there could be some useful information there.

Have a great weekend.
Best wishes,
Jo

Kerri said...

Absolutely love your pictures and am kicking myself because I have not started ANYTHING at my house. We finally have no snow on the ground and it's quite cold to plant anything outside yet.

THanks for the cup of coffee! Glad you decided to post -- your pictures put a smile on my face!

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

As always--I love it!

As for your potatoes--from what I understand, once the green shoots are about 2-3 inches--then you are to cover it up. Continue mounding dirt on top everytime the shoots get about 2-3 inches above the soil. I could be wrong, this is the first year we've grown them, but I think that is what I've read.

I emailed Melinda from One Green Generation to get in on the challenge--and I've not heard back. I really wanna, since that was our whole goal this year anyway.

I've noticed the same thing with peppers. They take much more energy than any other seedlings do. I'm jealous about your hyacinths and cannas. :)

My computer isn't recognizing my USB from my camera so I can't update with pics yet. :(

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. Everything looks amazing. I wish I had a green thumb...or even just a green finger. My dad did come over to help us plant some squash last week. Thanks for sharing the progress.

Dani said...

I'm with Joyce...I have not a single green finger or thumb. I did somehow manage, though I think God was having mercy on my efforts, to get some of the plants in the front yard to grow really big...Hostas, is that how you spell it? Ha...definitely not a gardener!

Reese said...

I always enjoy your posts.Gardening looks so relaxing, but I do not have a green thumb.
Have a great week!

CindyC said...

I loved getting a glimpse of your plants! I am especially impressed by your TX Laurel - it's beautiful. We have a wisteria growing on the fence between our yard and the neighbor's, and it looks very similar.

I hope you have a good weekend, and are able to start the next week refreshed.

Cheryl said...

Your pictures of plants are so inspiring! I am ready to get out there and plant some flowers, but have a short trip planned in a couple of weeks and know that they won't get watered...so...I will wait until after that so they might actually LIVE. (Go figure...!) Have a great weekend!

mholgate said...

I'm glad you updated us on the garden! It's officially spring and I am hoping to at least get some flowers planted, even if they are just in pots on my patio. :)

Have a nice weekend!
-Melissa

secondofwett said...

You are very ambitious for being 8 months pregnant! I'm glad you were able to post after such a difficult day.

D said...

Another great post! I can tell you are excited about the plants. You are making me nervous though - I just poked a bunch of seeds into the soil and I am hoping they grow! Probably not the best way to do it, but all I can manage with 2 little ones running around. I can't wait to see how everything turns out for you!

Thanks for the coffee!
D

Mozi Esme said...

Beautiful garden you've got going already! I'm jealous...

Rachel Anne said...

The potatoes are doing great!! And I'm so impressed with the mountain laurel! No wonder you have a green thumb, with a Dad who can ghost whisper to plants! :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win