Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Getting Ready for Halloween

Today Aunt Sissy asked me how David's Halloween costume was coming. So I thought I'd give some background & a sneak peek.

Back up to about a month or more ago. David started pretending to be a robot. I think it was after noticing them on Word Girl on PBS. Then when I asked him what he wanted to be for Halloween, he said a robot... in his monotone robot voice.... that he can talk in for hours... at... a... time.

He stuck to the story for weeks, so robot it is.

Now just yesterday I read on another blog:

So we haven’t been as creative as I’d always hoped- probably because the overdone robots made from tinfoil and cardboard boxes and the butterflies fashioned from a leotard and wings just didn’t seem unique enough – even if they were “homemade.”
Well, unique or not, David wants to be a robot. It was his own idea and nothing I put in his head. I was kinda pushing fireman, since we had all the stuff to put that one together. (And in my 3 years of trick-or-treating, I've never seen a single kid dressed as a robot.) So last week I got out the perfect size cardboard box that part of our chimney had arrived in and the trusty box of foil, and began to create a robot. And David asked for a red button on his chest.

David was so excited about being a robot! He keeps asking, "Is it Halloween yet?" And I would reply something like, "Not yet, but it's getting close. Kids are starting to get ready, picking out their costumes..." and David finished my sentence, "and moms are getting ready, making the costumes." I drew a quick breath and almost cried through my grinning. He thinks moms everywhere are busy making costumes for their kids. And that makes me proud.

So, here's your sneak peek, Aunt Sissy:

Complete with a big red button on the chest, right where David helped stick it, and dryer vent arms. It will be so much cuter when the cutest 4-year-old in the world is inside it!

If you're wondering, I did not make Elizabeth's costume. She's going to be a ladybug... of course.

Halloween Past: 2007 (bought David's cape & mask on Etsy & made Elizabeth's tutu), 2006 (bought his cape at the grocery store, but made his sash), 2005 (can't find pictures of it right now, but I made it - a piece of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese - it was really cute)

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win