Monday, August 14, 2006

Ding Ding... Round One!

David & Mom had several rounds over naptime today. We tried his room, we tried the couch, we tried Mom laying with him, we tried closing all the curtains & playing relaxing music. Finally, I went to check email & came back to check on the boy on the couch. He wasn't there, but all was quiet. I peeked into his room and found David with his head just barely on his bed, his body propped on a wipe box, socks by his head and shorts behind him... sound asleep! I took a picture, then rolled him onto the mattress.

He looks awfully long here, doesn't he?! I measured him this morning & he has grown 1/2" in the last 2 months!

I go to the chiropractor tomorrow. Less than 8 days until the sonogram!

I wanted to quote from this week's MOPS Mom-E-Mail (article by Carla Dietz, Area Coordinator):

After a morning of running errands and making an overdue trip to the gym, I finally headed home to put groceries away and take a hot shower. As I struggled inside with my grocery bags, I was surprised to find a tiny hummingbird frantically flying back and forth trying to get outside. Just watching him flutter, chirp and crash over and over made me feel stressed. Figuring he must need my help, I dropped everything to open the windows and doors. I tried nudging him along with our long duster, but it didn't help. After a few minutes of chasing him across the house, I realized I was only frustrating myself by trying so hard. I stepped away for a few minutes and took a breath of fresh air, reminding myself that he would find his own way to fly out, when he was ready.

Have you ever felt this way as a mom? We sometimes get impatient while our little ones need extra time struggling through potty training, dressing themselves or learning to share. Lovingly, we teach them, but mom-frustration can set in when it takes longer than we think it should for them to learn. By taking a deep breath and stepping back for a few minutes, we can refresh ourselves with new mom-perspective and patience.

When getting dressed my preschool boys often announced, "I do it myself!" Their outfits ranged from cowboy boots with plaid shorts and striped shirts to the occasional Batman cape over pajamas. It made me laugh, and helped me realize that what mattered most was that little by little my children were learning and doing it in their own time. (emphasis mine)

As for the bird, when I returned from my break my little friend zoomed past me and flew away...all by himself!

Prayer from a Mother's Heart: Dear God, help my child to grow and learn at just the pace you have set for him.

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win