Memories of Christmas Cookies Past... and Present

I do remember making sugar cookies with Momma. Or was that tea cakes? I got to wear the red checkered apron around my neck. We'd spread out dish towels & cover them with flour. We used our jelly jar tea glasses to cut out the circles.
Fond as that memory may be, a more amazing Christmas cookie memory (and I don't think Momma will mind me remembering this) did not take place at our house. It was at Rhonda's house. Rhonda's mom went all out for Christmas! Every inch of that little house had a Christmas decoration! She even had a little Santa that she had cut out from a Christmas card attached to the landscape painting in the dining room! (Santa was climbing a mountain or something like that!)
Then there was the baking. Rhonda's mom was always making delectable goodies in that kitchen. But the first time I saw her cookie sheet I was in awe. She had made so many cookies on that sheet, that you could tell exactly where each lump of dough should sit. I couldn't even guess the thousands of cookies that made exit from that kitchen.
I remember thinking, silly as it may sound, "Someday, I want my cookie sheet to look like that."
Well, I'm working on it, and have been for the last 8 Christmas'. Continuing in the tradition that we started sometime when I was growing up, I am still making Christmas cookies for my neighbors. Here's the progress I made tonight:
but I added some peanut butter chips & oatmeal to stretch the recipe some.


Then last year's new recipe:
Ginger Molasses Cookies
A yummy, chewy hit!
This year's new recipe: Chocolate Mint Pinwheels!
I'm proud of how these turned out!
Swirls are my favorite shapes!
All that work for this little stack of containers! I topped them off with some kisses & crunch bells. The big bucket with go to the fire station with Dad, the flat container will go to our neighborhood fire station. That's a stack of baggies full of Chex mix there, too.
I've got a few more years on my cookie sheets now.... Rhonda's mom - I'm catching up with you! : )
(my first audio blog doesn't really sound that great!)

No comments:
Post a Comment