Saturday, May 22, 2010

Meet the Flock

It appears that there was too much going on back in January when my chicks arrived. I apparently never blogged their arrival. This is how cute they were then (above).

This is how they've grown! This was a couple of weeks ago, because all the roosters are there:

I have estimated the hens may start laying June-July. I thought I'd introduce you to them.

Alan named this one Blue Beard. She's an Easter Egger - supposed to lay green & blue tinted eggs. Her legs are green.

David named one of the hens Ginger and one Rosie. He can't remember which is which, and neither can I.

This is Julia - Orange Julia.

This is Pecker. I don't think he's mean, he just pecks at stuff - the hand that feeds him, the leg that's standing beside him. Well, that doesn't really matter now. He's in the freezer. That was another story... but I don't think my pregnant stomach can tolerate repeating the story again. It was awful and they did it right in front of us (me & Elizabeth).

This is Penny... Henny Penny.

This is Rocky, the lead rooster. He's the one that's been crowing, the largest bird with the reddest comb and waddle. I tried really hard to get a good picture of him. Made me mad when I loaded it on the computer that this gray thing happened.

This one's Scraggle. He's the runt. Very picked on.

The friendliest rooster is Spot. He was feeling camera shy this morning, but you can see the tiny white spot on the back of his head this way. He is always underfoot and is just as happy being held as down walking around. He, too, is now in the freezer.

I think the next two may be called Buffalo and ChickenFry, respectively. Yep, they're in the freezer.

We've named several of the hens, but it's just hard to photograph chickens - their heads are always moving! There's a total of 5 birds in the freezer, and I haven't the stomach to do anything with them for a while! 15 birds continue to free-range, along with the 4 guineas. 20 guinea eggs in the incubator, although I've basically done everything wrong with these eggs. If any of them hatch, it's only because of God's loving hand on them!

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win