Monday, November 17, 2008

Our Babywearing Journey


I've been reading posts about International Babywearing Week all week and realized yesterday, when I used these photos in my letter to Motrin, that I hadn't put my baby wearing photos into the mix this week!

This is Elizabeth in her homemade pouch sling that I got from a fabulous Etsy mom, Drew Baby Designs. Click over to her Etsy shop where's she's got an amazing BOGO sale going on! And her prices were great to begin with! We loved using this sling - it was very portable, beautiful and very well made. Elizabeth attended her first Women of Faith conference in this beauty and we got tons of compliments on both baby and sling!

When I wanted to try out a Mei Tai, I had no idea where to get one. Since I was going all ladybug crazy on Elizabeth's nursery theme, I kept it going and found a pattern, and made this gem. The Mei Tai was very comfortable to wear, but I found the long straps to be a bit cumbersome for running errands with a lot of taking her on & off. I think it would have been great for longer outings, though. We enjoyed using it around the house and even though it was cut small for a newborn, it was strong enough to carry David! Unfortunately, Elizabeth never liked the back carry, so we were unsuccessful using it that way.

The carrier I used most for out & about was the older model Baby Bjorn carrier that I got for a steal on eBay. Since Elizabeth was born in January, I was able to put the straps on at home and put my coat or sweater on over it. Then when I got to the store, I just snapped the pouch on, slid her in, zipped my coat & got out of the car. We always did tummy to tummy, so the leg strain from the out facing position was never an issue.

In the above picture, Elizabeth was in her Baby Bjorn under my coat while I'm carrying David at Christmas lights in the park last year. Now that was a load!

When David was a baby, all I had was a drab gray ring sling that I'd found at Toys R Us. I never really figured out how to use it, and I never thought to take a picture of it. We also had a Snuggli that he didn't like & we soon quit trying. I do have a picture of that, but that was before I had a digital camera & the picture is safely in a scrapbook now. I think with Baby #3 I'd like to try a ring sling again. I know so much more about babywearing now that I think we could make it work.

I know I'm getting in just under the wire here, but I'm going to link up this post to Adventures In Babywearing's International Babywearing Week Contest. This gives me the chance to win an amazing ring sling to try out that would otherwise be out of my price range! Check out Nonny & Boo to see how gorgeous these Mama made slings are!

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win