Sunday, November 16, 2008

Motrin's Slam on Babywearing

What the heck were you thinking, Motrin? Obviously you knew nothing about babywearing when you set out to bad mouth babywearing and Moms who choose to do so.

If you experience pain from wearing baby then either the carrier is not adjusted correctly or it's not the correct style of carrier for your body type. There's nothing new or suddenly fashionable about wearing baby (although you can get or make some really cute ones), I mean look at old National Geographic photographs of women in underdeveloped countries with their babies tightly wrapped to their bodies as they go about their work. It's just that Americans are finally realizing how convenient, time-saving, and beneficial for mom & baby it is.

Babywearing was a lifesaver to me when I needed to go grocery shopping with a toddler and a newborn. I was able to belt David into the basket seat while wearing Elizabeth and still have the basket free for the groceries and my hands free to do the shopping & push the basket! I'm sure it will be even more convenient when #3 arrives and I've got 2 kids to keep up with.

So I don't know why Motrin decided to attack babywearing and Moms in general. It's disappointing, but it also shows how little research went into this ad campaign.

Unless they remove the ad, you can view it on their main page or you can view a transcript here. If you'd like to contact Motrin yourself, fill out the form here. We don't use Motrin. And we never will.

My babywearing photos: (top) Elizabeth in her pouch sling that was made by an Etsy Mom. This is how she went to her first Women of Faith Conference. (middle) Elizabeth in her Mei Tai made by me. (bottom) Elizabeth in her Baby Bjorn under my coat while I'm carrying David at Christmas lights in the park last year. Now that was a load! And do I look like I need to medicate myself in any of those photos?

Update: When I clicked on Motrin's site tonight, it was completely down. If you really want to see the ad, it's made it to YouTube and can be seen here.

1 comment:

Miche said...

Hey! I embeded the code to the video in my blog, so if they take it down (which will be good) and people are still curious, you can direct them my way,or if you want the code let me know and Ill send it to you so you can just copy paste it in a page. Thanks for the link to their contact site-I'm writing a letter now!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win