Friday, May 13, 2011

First Garden Report of 2011

This has been the driest spring.  Seeds were planted and just sat there.  I watered, but still nothing sprouted.  Then all of the sudden, things started happening!  And today...

The first tomatoes!!!  These cherry tomatoes were actually growing in a hanging bag on the back porch, of all places!  Here's how the garden is looking:

 As you can see, we also have a bit of playground in the garden.  I can fence the little people in with me and not worry about a certain someone going into the barn to eat chicken poop or something like that.

 More tomatoes are turning!  Cherries above and Roma's below!  So exciting!!!
 
 I need a good crop of tomatoes to make our salsa to last for a year.  I only have one jar left of last year's salsa.  Will we make it???

 I had no idea what to expect when Dad's uncle gave me these "Sweet Spot" pepper plants.  That long one is not what I was expecting!  I thought they were going to be a bell type.  The pepper below is "Garden Salsa" which will also be used for our salsa.  I also have some jalapeno and Anaheim peppers.

 I have never, ever had onions that actually made a bulb!  And this year, I do!  Even the purple onions!

 We will have squashes running out of our ears soon, but that's ok!  I planted zucchini, yellow squash, butternut, and spaghetti squash (below)! 

 I had to plant seeds 3 times, but finally have some Swiss chard growing.  Not fabulous, but at least it's there.

Beautiful days for being outside lately and we're all enjoying our time in the garden!

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win