Monday, March 22, 2010

I've got sprouts!

Friday, March 19 - I dug a new bed in the garden. I hate hearing all those Bermuda roots as the shovel goes into the earth.

Onions are happily growing. They'll be thinned for some green onions before long. Then hopefully the larger ones will grow better than last year. This bed will have more dirt in it next year.

My little strawberry plant is coming back after being eaten by the goat. Hopefully there will be enough time to make me at least one berry before it gets hot???

Garlic is growing back after being eaten off by the goat:

The angled piece of cattle panel is what I grown my tomatoes on. Last year, it was in the bed on the right. I thought I'd move them this year. I've got 3 Romas getting a head start indoors in pots. I'm still trying to beat my sister to the first tomato... I decided to do mostly Roma this year since they had such good flavor last year, produced heavily, and are good for canning & freezing sauces. I just don't think I can say no to the yellow pear, though...

Monday, March 22 - NEW SPROUTS SPOTTED!!! Rainbow Swiss Chard is really prettier than it looks. I love the crimson stems on the tiny sprouts!

This was in the area where I planted spinach. I've never grown spinach before, so I don't know if that's spinach or a weed coming up.

Radish seedlings appear to be forming true leaves!

That, my friends, is a cockleburr growing amongst my radishes. At least it was.

Tiny carrot sprouts are beginning to peek through!

There were a couple of these in the pot where I planted peppermint seeds. Could it be?

I also have peppers growing in the house - 1 poblano, 2 Anaheim, 9 jalapeno.

I know my mulch is pretty rough for starting seedlings. I should have scrapped it off a little better. And for those who were concerned about the goat eating my garden, we picked up a roll of fencing. Now to find the time when Dad's home to work on the fence.

For the Growing Challenge - strawberries, garlic, spinach, radishes, carrots, peppermint and poblano peppers are new to my garden.

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win