Friday Garden Log, Coffee, and Seed Update

So welcome back, Company Girls and Seed Sowers! What an interesting week we've had here! We enjoyed warm 80-ish degree days at the beginning of the week and were near freezing last night! It sure is hard to be patient and wait for planting time to be right. Those warm days are soooo tempting! But today, there's coffee on & a fire going as we try to keep warm and just imagine how nice the weather will be by next week.
The lettuce seeds I planted on March 1, sprouted this last Monday, March 9! Just a few pots first, but by the end of the week they all had sprouts. More on that later.Another of Grandmama's white iris was also blooming on Monday.
I added some organic matter to the trough that had the Swiss Chard growing in it and they're still growing. The Spinach never showed.
The Grape Hyacinths, also from Grandmama's house, also started blooming. I love these little purple clusters. This one is not fully opened yet.
On Tuesday, one of the Cardinals finally landed close enough to a window for me to get a good photo! I think this guy is a young 'en. He & his girl (who's hard to see there closer to the fence) were pretty small and he was not as vivid as some I've seen.
Then the cold weather moved in on Wednesday. I brought the tomatoes back inside to protect from the strong wind and *just in case* the temp dipped. I didn't want anything happening to my babies! My counter is ready to be past the last frost, too!
Here is a little miniature rose I got around Valentine's Day re-potted to a bigger one, a couple of ornamental peppers I've re-potted, my tomato gals, and tomatillo in the foreground.
Marigolds will be ready to go outside soon, too. Greek Oregano has disappeared. : ( I could barely ever see it, even when it was coming up.
Another re-potted ornamental pepper, the rest of the peppers, the asparagus doesn't even stand up any more it's so long, and some flowers waiting to go out front to welcome open house guests in a few weeks.
Another view of the peppers in waiting...
OH, David helped me plant some carrot seeds in a pot on Thursday. Another test. I set them out on the porch by the lettuce. They're Danvers Half Long. Carrots went along with one of his activities & books we read today, so it seemed appropriate.
I went out in the dark last night so I could add a photo of how the potato plant has grown this week! No others have sprouted. Not sure why this one's such an over achiever... or if the rest are just duds. Patience... I must keep reminding myself!Another last night in the dark update - the lettuce seedlings. I admit I didn't know what I was doing when I planted these, but I *thought* I had sprinkled them around pretty evenly. Each pot seems to have a little concentration of sprouts. I guess time will tell if more come up or what!
So everything is growing, I'm learning patience, but I'm eagerly anticipating the changes that will be coming in the next few weeks!
Oh, yeah, and I have just 30 days until my due date! Thanks for dropping by!













9 comments:
Hello, Company Girl! Your blog is amazing and you are inspiring me to get with and start some seeds soon. Every year I think to myself next year I will start on time and get some great stuff planted and then I never do. I know I will check in with your blog again for more ideas and inspiration.
A girl in my sunday school class wants to start growing a garden. Her fiance is setting it up for her. I told her I would send her the link to your blog. You are doing great!
I'm seeing green! Hooray! My dad just came over to plan some lilies and squash. I can't wait.
I loved your Splenda quote, so wise!
What great things you're starting! We still have a big longer to wait here. It's still frozen (: You definitely have me excited. Thanks for coffee, by the way!
Looking good! Your sprouts are coming along...I love the updates. It's ALMOST as good as growing my own.
You'll probably have waaaay to many peppers to eat and freeze yourself....just remember your Company Girl up the road from you when you have more than you know what to do with :)
Your stuff looks great!
Thanks for stopping by!
Wow, you are doing great! We are doing a garden for the first time this year - I'm kind of getting a late start so we are going to attempt putting seeds right into the bed we've built. *fingers crossed* Hopefully we are able to get something to grow. I can't wait to see your garden when everything is mature - you are going to have so much food! yay!
Thanks for the coffee!
D
We had to bring some of our plants in and set them on the counter last week--it lasted a few days. One of the latter days, my 3yo accidentaly knocked off my newly replanted tomato plants (that I started from seed!)--all 12 of them! I replanted 11 (one was mutilated) and most of them are surviving. Can't wait until those babies can go in the ground!!
Post a Comment