Monday, December 01, 2008

Hard Water Stinks!

The water guy came out to test the water today. He found no sulfur, but I always thought the water smelled like metal, not like sulfur. His iron test showed 2 parts per million, even after going through Dad's whole house filter he'd installed. So he guessed that it might be 3 ppm if it wasn't going through the filter.

Then he did a calcium test. He had to keep adding his drops into the water, waiting for the color to change. Drop, drop, drop... Finally the water changed, which showed 50 grains. Combined together, that gave us a hard water score of 60 grains. He said usually when he tests & finds hard water, the score is about 10-15 grains. We have extremely hard water.

That's why I smelled metal & the toilet tanks already have brown film inside (iron). That's why the dishwasher element turned white after the first wash, I have to clean the dishes after washing them, and I have to clean all the fixtures every day to keep them from getting white crust (calcium).

How is it that Grandpa has such good tasting, very soft water just a few miles away?

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win