Monday, March 12, 2007

Photo Tag: Prized Possession!

After crying through a re-run of Texas Country Reporter (story on generational quilting) last Saturday, I decided that maybe my most prized possession are my quilts. Most of them were made just for me by people who loved me.

The quilts are, top-to-bottom:

  • A twin-size quilt. This is the only one that I'm really not sure who made. I remember it being an old quilt when I used it on my bed growing up. This one went to college with me. Maybe after we move, I'll post a picture of it spread out on our craft blog to see if anyone knows who made it.
  • With lavender trim & back, Grandmama made this one for me when I was in junior high... to give to me for my wedding. I got it in 1998.
  • The burgundy, forest green & navy log cabin quilt was made by Sissy for our bedspread when we got married.
  • The "H" quilt was a collaboration by Momma & my husband's Grana (and probably some help from the Sew & Sews) after we got married.
  • The brightest quilt I've ever seen was made by Grandmama just a few years ago. This was the last one I got from her. She made one for all 3 of her grand kids.
  • The octagon quilt was made by my husband's great-grandmother and given to us for our wedding.
  • Finally, the bottom quilt was also made by Grandmama more than a few years ago, but not too long ago. She also made 3 of these that year for each grand kid.

See the rest of this week's Photo Tag over at Adventures in Babywearing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some quilts that are very precious to me too. Yours look beautiful!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

There's just nothing like a home-made quilt! I sleep with one my great-grandmother gave me when I got married. I love all the fabrics in it, and it is the most comfy blanket ever!!

Steph

Wendy said...

Wow! Those look beautiful! I have a few that my great grandmother and grandmother have made for me. They too are SO SPECIAL. It is like a piece of them to me. THey poured theirselves into making this special, special gift for me. I love them dearly.

Jennwith4 said...

What beautiful quilts!

Jennifer said...

Those are beautiful! I posted about a handmade quilt too, even though we have several. They truly are special. Yours are beautiful! (I'm sure even more so when they are unfolded!)

KC said...

Those are very pretty.
my Grandma(mom's mom) use to make us afgans, I have 2 of them that she made for me when i was little, and then she made my 3 older kids ones while i was PG with them and gave them to them when they were born.. She was fighting cancer once again(she has had all sort of cancer though the years) while I was PG with my youngest and she had started one for him(she use to make them big to fit the top of a twin size bed) and then got really sick and never got it finished before he was born, she told me she had it and was still working on it when she felt up to it. When he was 4 months old she passed away. While going though her house we found it it wasn't very big, but we finished it up where it was and it ended up being the size of a babyblanket.. but I was so happy just to have it for him, something his great grandma made him because she loved him, even though he will never remember her.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win