Monday, August 17, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten

We actually planned on starting Kindergarten on September 1. After the summer of traveling and house guests, we decided that it might be better to go ahead & start setting up a routine. So... we started Kindergarten today!
I like to have pictures of the first day. You can see our first day of Pre-K here. This is our school area:

Of course, we have to have a picture of David with his teacher. : )

And I like to get a picture with the other kids in it, too. These turned out pretty good, I think.

After just one day, I am even more excited about this year! I know we're going to have fun and I'm excited to see what all we're going to learn! Today we started reading The Boxcar Children and David didn't want to stop after chapter 1.

Part of today's work was assembling David's notebook. He was quite proud of it when it was all together.

His Language Arts Readers are on paper that he cut apart & assembled the book.

Then, much to my amazement, he just started reading through the book! My job may be easier than I thought this year...

We also did a gross motor assessment, which David & Elizabeth both enjoyed! Rebekah even got a kick out of it! Here's David hopping on one foot.

After day 1, I can see that his weakest skill is handwriting. He never has liked writing or even coloring. Looking back on the day, I had a revelation... look back up at the photos. He's pointing with his left hand. He's jumping on his left foot. Perhaps he is left handed?

4 comments:

Grandpa said...

"gross motor assessment" - Most little boys like gross stuff!

Unknown said...

I loved Sonlight!!! Nice haircut, David. :-)

David said...

Yay for lefties! Left-handed Davids are the BEST!

Pipesville said...

I read Boxcar Children to my kids last year. We read the entire series. It was hard to teach because we wanted to read the books. I am so excited y'all are reading them. We have some of them here if you need them.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Search & Win